Thursday, December 17, 2015

Big Banana – Coffs Harbour


Acclaimed as Australia’s first Big Thing and definitely up their in Australia's top 5 – I have to say I was disappointed when I finally got to see the Big Banana. Not only did I have to line up to wait for a picture – what!! But it was much smaller than I thought it would be (it sneakily gets a lot of points for it’s size due to it’s length) but – unlike the prawn, it doesn’t make your jaw drop in grandeur! It also has it’s name clearly marked on it – cheap trick or clever marketing?! It’s highly commercial and although you can go inside, the inside only offers 2 seconds of poster memorabilia before being ushered/pushed through by the person behind you (maybe we went at the wrong time of the year!). It was fun to see, you know, to tick it off my list, but yeah I’ve seen better :P  (sorry beloved icon!)

DETAILS
Size: 11m x 3m 
Year: 1964 
Address: The Big Banana 351 Pacific Hwy, Coffs Harbour NSW 2450 Australia (it’s literally impossible to miss as you drive through Coffs) 
Photo Taken: Jan 2014

SCORE
Size **** 
Accessibility ***** 
Aesthetics *** 
Unusual ** 
Location* 
15/25 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment